Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Getting to Chengdu, Sichuan, China


Hi everyone,

What a journey to Western China! From D.C., I had a 13 1/2 hour flight to Beijing. We flew United which is sorely lacking entertainment. We did not have individual screens, and the large screen we did have for the back section of the plane wasn't working most of the flight. Oh well. I got a bit of sleep and used my new, beautiful iPod. (Thanks to Michael for helping me load it up...twice :) )

The Beijing airport is really extraordinary--so beautiful. I heard that it just opened a couple months ago in preparation of the Olympics (some of you may know for sure). I wish I had taken some photos of the ceiling which was really lovely. Our flight time to Chengdu was changed from 4:30pm to 6. So we waited for awhile at the airport and changed into our business casual clothes, which we are expected to wear during training and to our jobs once we start. Our flight to Chengdu was a short 2 1/2 hours, but Air China still fed us my first in-China meal, which consisted of:

pork/rice/carrots & green beans
a sweet role filled with a date paste (?)
something like pear jello (a melting jello with fruit and seeds floating in it)

I loved the roll, but I'm not too sure about the jello. I'll do a separate food entry later.

Interesting note: when I arrived in D.C. and in Chengdu, there were firework displays that I could see out of the plane windows. I wonder if they were for me.

Jennifer

7 comments:

Connie said...

I'm glad you got some sleep! Also, happy that the IPOD is turing out to be so useful!

Get use to the rice. Lots of it.

Cindy said...

Can you go too wrong with rice, carrots and green beans? It sounds awfully healthy and doesn't involve scorpion on a stick!!

KRussell said...

The jello sounds good!! Maybe you should save all the weird food for me so when I come to visit I have a wide variety of food to choose from. But then again the food might just have a little more flavor to it for sitting for so long.

Kim said...

I'm so glad you were able to see the fireworks!! We all worked very hard to put that together for you:)

Vanity Cosmetics said...

I think I had that type of roll on my way to Taiwan. I like it, but I like anyting with sugar, come to think of.

Props to you for finding a picture of me with my tongue NOT hanging out. Yeah!

"We're" (aka "The US of A") is getting ready for the 4th of July. I'm personaly about to tackle Costco in a few minutes, and I'm terrified.

I also realized this computer doesn't have spell check, and I'm further terrified.

Lisa said...

I am so happy to hear from you. It sounds like you are having a better time that I could imagine. Although the roll sounds yummy, I think I could pass on the rest. I would come home way thin if I had to go. Maybe I can talk Rob into a last min. vaca to China to see the Olympics, and we could visit...

Unknown said...

Happy 4th of July!!!! Well...actually, I guess the 4th is over for you already, huh? Guess I need to get used to the time difference, so when I wish you "Happy...(fill in the blank) it will at least be on the right day! I love you and miss you! Mom