Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July!

Hi everyone,

Happy Independence Day! Today, I celebrated by having red, white, and blue silly string shot at our group by Chinese PC staff. I then skipped this carrot cake (not my favorite), and I finally had a burger, fries, and bottled water at Red Tomato, a Western-style restaurant near the hotel.

Some of the group went out together and will go clubbing later, but I'm still a bit jetlagged. I also had three shots today, and I'm supposed to stay hydrated and get to bed early. My shots were: first series Hep A/B, rabies, and Japanese encephalitis. My right arm is getting a little sore.

The big news of the day was finding out our training site and our host family. I'll spend the next nine weeks at Sichuan Normal University going to class everyday. My family is Lan Lin and his wife Zu Yunyan. Also living with them is Grandma and an eight year old daughter. From the age of the child, I'm guessing that my host couple might be approximately my age, but I think I might be expected to call them mama and baba. Not sure. They are teachers and live within walking distance of campus. Their hobbies are "reading, go outing, table tennis." I move in with them tomorrow, and I'm extremely nervous.

I think I'll commemorate this fourth of July by sharing some general facts/information about my Chinese experience here:


Chengdu has about 12 million people in it. Some of the city is very flashy with lots of neon lights. Some of it is very run down.

I haven't seen the sun since I've been to China. I knew the pollution would be bad, but I didn't quite understand that it would block direct sunlight. Maybe it's just overcast...I'll let you know as the weather changes.

There is a lot of honking on the streets. But my street's sweeping truck plays beautiful, relaxing, zen-like music as it drives by.

There is a huge rabies problem in China.

China has a dish of fried corn.

There is such thing as a Leather Engineering department on the Sichuan University campus.

A lot of women wear high heels walking around the streets of Chengdu, and many young women walk arm in arm with one another.

Men are often shirtless, even in restaurants.

Restaurants use rolls of toilet paper hanging on the wall to dry your hands on. They also put them on the table as napkins.

The Chinese say "bye bye" as an informal goodbye.

Babies in Chengdu do not wear diapers. Instead, they wear pants with the crotch cut open, and they are free to pee/poop whenever and wherever.

The people here are very friendly. They seem pretty enthusiastic to see foreigners and are always willing to try to help us.

Chengdu has mosquitos. I think I have about seven bites so far!


All in all, I'm having a fantastic time. I'm still tired, so hopefully I'll get a day to rest soon. Oh, I ate intestines and brains at "hot pot." I'll write more about food soon.

I hope everyone is doing well. I miss you all.

Jennifer

12 comments:

Vanity Cosmetics said...

OK - I'm tripping out about the crotchless-pants-babies-poop thing. REALLY?!?!?

Very cool that you had a celebration for the 4th, but bummed the celebratory cake was carrot. I actually made a dessert and got sad thinking of how much you'd like it if you were here - - - strawberry trifle with custard, strawberry glaze, and angle food cake. I think everyone liked it except for David, the person I made it for. Nice!

I can't wait to hear how the move-in with your family goes - - you're going to become a table-tennis pro, sounds like!

Is there a Sichuan Un-normal University?

Kim said...

Ok, I think I've been scarred for life over the crotchless poo-babies. Do people have to carry around little plastic bags and a mini-shovel like we do here for our dogs? Does it stink there? It sounds like it might be smelly there. Also, I'm really glad you'll be going to Sichuan Normal, because I hear the alternative is quite disturbing:) I'm sure all will go great with the new family, and they don't have a dog! YaYYYYYY!!! Can't wait to hear about the family and your training.

Cindy said...

Just think, if you were in Florida the senior citizens could use the crotchless pants as well! Okay that was bad but I am jetlagged and that is the first thing that popped into my head. I vowed to myself in France that I would try anything but I don't think I can make that vow if I go to China...intestines? I don't think so!

debbie said...

Hey Jen - in Colombia they just didn't bother with diapers at all. The little kids went wherever including airplanes and buses. Guess somethings don't change in other countries.

I always said you were a trooper - I don't think I could have eaten the intestines - I tried some pretty off the wall things in Colombia but the intestines are a little too much! Way to go!

Unknown said...

Well, it looks like your getting your fill of PC sights and smells. It looks like things are going well. I'm so jealous, but excited that i was able to get you started on this experience!

KRussell said...

Wow watch out for those rabies they're a doosie.

Connie said...

For some reason, I was unphased by the whole crotchless pants thing. I guess it is because I've been potty training Jd by letting him run around with no pants on. He's been doing fine with the pee thing but yesterday, I had to clean up a big man-turd in the living room floor. Kim made a good point to me though because it would be kinda gross to be in a restaurant and having baby poo and pee on the floors. Can you imagine me going into Target and JD taking a big dump in the toy section? That would be AWESOME!!!!

Keep us updated with the move-in!! I'm really excited for you. What out for them rabies. They may be running around in the Un-Normal University.

Cindy said...

Hey Anna

I was making the Thai Apple salad and figured out the recipe I have doesn't list the nuts...what type of nuts did you use?

Thanks,
Cindy (Aunt that is)

Anna said...

Hi Cindy,

I used cashews. Peanuts and almonds also work, but I think cashews work the best. I'm so glad you liked the salad!

Cindy said...

Thanks Anna

I ended up using the peanuts yesterday cause that's what I had but I took it over to some friend's house and everyone loved it!!! It was a hit...thanks for sharing something new with me :)

Cindy

Lisa said...

The diapers don't bother me as much as the brain and intestines...why would you eat such things?

Jennifer George said...

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd comment a little on what I wrote here.

Sichuan Normal University, I believe, is called such because it's primarily a teacher's college. Why they chose the world "normal" I don't really understand.

The sun finally came out in Chengdu for a few days. I think it doesn't come out very often, which means that the women here do not tan and pride themselves on their milky complexion. As soon as the sun came out, so did the umbrellas.

Apparently, mothers/fathers/baby caretakers try to time their children's bathroom needs from the time of their feeding? I saw one father hold his son with his legs spread so that the child could pee on the sidewalk. I think I've seen a poop cleanup...the poop goes in a plastic bag to be disposed of later.

Lisa, why did I eat brains and intestines? I guess because I could! :)

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and for reading my blog!

Jennifer